Sunday, November 21, 2010

Literacy and Writing Priorities

Literacy has been an important topic in my family for as long as I can remember. Many of my earliest memories were my mom or dad reading to me and my brothers and sister. We would take turns looking over the pages, filling in words when we were cued. If we were correct, we were praised; if we weren't, we were politely asked for a second attempt. As the days went on. we all developed into very literate individuals. Writing was not as much of a priority for most of my young years, the belief being a good writer comes from good reading comprehension and studying grammatical rules in context.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you completely, reading at a young age helps develop your vocab, work on your grammar, and helps with speech. My family always read to me as a child as well, and I don't think it can stressed enough how important it is. It sets you up as a reader for life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds a lot like my family! Looking back, I now know why they did that to us and it was only to help us succeed and do better in college and ultimately in life. My dad always made us bring a book on vacation and would put pressure on us to read and kept repeating how important it was. My mom did the same, but she pressured more with writing. I guess that's what I get for having two parents that are teachers.

    ReplyDelete