Sunday, September 26, 2010

Revisions and decisions

Revisions are a sticking point in my writing. I feel that my first draft is my most natural work, since it's the draft I created from scratch. When I write my first draft, my ideas flow out without any filter or worry about general conventions or specifics for the assignment. While revising of my works makes a difference in clarity and tone, I am headstrong about my pieces of writing. It takes a lot more effort for me to revise what I've already written, because it's my original thoughts, and I feel that some revisions I need to do take away from my originality. Overall, I like the revision process for clarity reasons, but I'd prefer more abstract and open assignments, where specific conventions aren't as important.

5 comments:

  1. I agree with you, revision is a hard process for me as well. It is difficult to make changes to my original thoughts. Sometimes I feel as though I'm just making changes for the sake of making changes. Good luck on the rest of your paper, and make sure you don't take out any of your original ideas just because you feel like you have to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you on this as well. I feel that the first draft is by far the easiest because it is primarily written freestyle almost. I also deal with rewriting my work as well. Once I have a piece of writing completed that I am somewhat connected with, I feel that there is no need to make any more changed. Even though every piece of writing can use extra clarity and support.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel you here. Some of the rough drafts I write I don't think need to be changed much. When we do extensive revising in class, however, sometimes I feel like I change things just to change things. A good tip that really helps me is have several people look over your rough draft. This allows feedback from many different points of view and should bring things to your attention that you would have never thought about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate revisions for this exact reason. I feel that editing myself sometimes subtracts from the originality of the first draft. It's hard to make substantial changes while maintaining the same flow. It is however useful in finding minor mistakes and improving content.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that revisions can be tough, especially when you've spent a lot of time writing it. Sometimes revisions help you to notice the smaller details and then you begin to incorporate more into your first draft. Especially when other people edit your paper you can learn a lot in addition to what you already now. When it comes down to it, over time you become a better writer and could potentially eliminate the need for multiple drafts in your future writing.

    ReplyDelete