Sunday, September 12, 2010

The joys of writing...

Writing for a class is more often then not a chore. Being assigned a task to write about usually leaves little room for creativity and individuality. But sometimes, you can luck out and have some freedom with your topic choice. When you can choose a topic, the possiblitities are endless. You have freedom on what you decide to write about, and that takes a lot of the burden off of writing the paper. Last semester, I got to choose a topic for an argumentative paper, and I landed on the issue of racial double standards. Even though it was a touchy subject to write about, I managed to create a great paper. I got to speak about my opinions and critisisms about the way the media and culture has shifted in regards to race and racism, and got to convey my examples of the double standards that shine through all the fluff in the media. It was one of the few times I was proud to be writing, and the only time I was waiting eagerly to present my work. To this day, I still have it saved on my computer, and have debated on whether to add to it and post it in a blog or on some other format that the general public can see. This paper showed me the joys and fun you can have with writing; editing and researching for hours was never as rewarding as this.

No comments:

Post a Comment